Last week was my first week with this website up and running. This weekend I was so excited to be working on a new commission to post I just about finished it. I’m currently 15 hours into the piece.
Amy, a friend of a friend contacted me specifically interested in the Dragon Lighter Case for her boyfriend for his birthday. That piece had already been sold and no molds were made so we discussed the possibility of a custom piece and the details she’d like to included: Tod (her boyfriend) has a tribal tattoo that’s very meaningful. The cost for this piece was quoted at $250 and that price was adjusted for allowing me to making a mold for reproduction.
As I prepared the initial process, Amy and I discussed different ways to combine the dragon with Tod’s tattoo without making the dragon entirely abstract…
As detailed in a previous post the initial pink layer has been baked and I’ve added more grey Sculpey to build tribal-esque eye details.
As I took these pictures I e-mail them to Amy for her review. She was very quick to respond which added to my momentum!
In the above-left images you can see the glean of the Turpenoid used to smooth out the chest plates after I finished sculpting them. At this point I’m around 8 hours in, and I’ve baked the piece twice.
The above-right image shows where the size of the eye was adjusted, and the brow detail has begun. After one of the earlier images were sent, Amy suggested adding scales to this dragon which gave me the idea for adding a harder brow.
With brow finished, I baked the piece a third time before adding scales. In the past I’ve tried using a pen-tube, or little straw to make circles all over for the appearance of scales, but it just looks terrible and fake and terrible. Instead, I pinched and rolled, like, a gazzilion itty-bitty clay balls (some of which can be seen in the round tray) and stuck them on individually… after a coat of turpenoid it looks pretty neat-o!
After a few final finishing touches, I’ll make a mold of it and paint it.