[dropcap_1] A [/dropcap_1] pparently, I forgot to knock on wood as I wrote my last post. “Awe, look how confident he tried to act… isn’t that cute.” So, now the top half of Amy and Tod’s original lighter case is in pieces and I’m not sure if the mold itself is salvagable. <insert dumbfounded here>
I was so careful while prepairing the lighter case for the NEW blue rubber mold material. I checked and double-checked that all spaces were sealed as I smoothed each section of clay barrier to pour the first piece… then the second… and third. I guess looking back on it now, the process did go suspiciously super-duper smooth.
I [highlight] think [/highlight] the issue lied in one of the following:
- The “wet clay” I used to make my barriers might have reacted poorly with the rubber during the curing.
- I did not give the release agent enough time to dry before pouring the rubber in.
I’m leaning more towards the second because, yes, the spray can says that the release agent is ready in 5 minutes, but the rubber mold stuff says to give it 30 minutes. The Release Agent is just a spray on barrier so that the rubber mold doesn’t stick to the wet clay, the sculpture or other sections of rubber mold like itself.
Below, both the bubbles in the blue rubber and the round craters in the clay walls are referred to as “keys”. Ultimately they will allow the 3 sections of rubber to “lock” together in the proper configuration (unless they just congeal into a solid block).
In the last image above you can see two clay bits on the rubber mold. They will allow 2 channels to be made in the mold: one for pouring the resin in and the other to let the air out. They should be placed on the same side of the mold.
- If there were only one channel, the resin would get all backed up when the air tried to escape mold.
- If they were affixed on opposite sides of the sculpture, as you poured the resin in one side it would flow right out the other.
Amy and I have discussed the options we have moving forward from here (there are lots). I’d like to try to salvage this mold, but ultimately if Amy would prefer another original piece for Tom, I’ll gladly do that too.
Ugh! It’s such a pain in the nuts to face a destroyed piece! But getting to share it here, like this, makes it still feel useful… so, all is not lost. This is a tough process but it’s not impossible. Keep an eye out for the update on what the dang deal is with this blue rubber goo.