The good news: the end of my canvas stretching project is in sight!
The bad news: I think I have framers elbow! Uh… so sore.
In fact, I have high hopes to finish it and the Astronaut fella I’ve been working on this weekend. Before I get back to stretchin’ and primin’ though, I wanted to post some updates on the progress of the Astronaut.
I made arm-armatures, and secured them with copper wire. The reason I’m using copper wire is because when an electrical devise dies and I take it apart to fix it (yea right), there’s usually a good deal of copper wire around the electric motor.
After adding Firm (grey) Sculpey to the arm for the basic structure, I continued to add detail with the pink Super Sculpey. The firmer clay gave the arm a sturdy base structure so that while the softer detail is added and modified, it didn’t get all mashed and warped. I plan to do the second arm the same way.
In the future I’m going to try mixing the firm grey clay with the pink clay. This should improve the brittleness of the grey clay while making the pink clay slightly firmer. Currently, the pink clay is so soft that you can see my fingerprints in it, plus, when I finish sculpting it I have to be extra careful not to mash the detail.
I’ve decided to make just a brain floating inside the helmet. The way I’ve designed it, the brain could be easily switched out for something different – Kinda like me.
I’m excited to get the little dude done. But until then I’ll finish up these canvases… and fix the stupid window on our truck.