I wanted so badly to have someone else mold this dinosaur for me! So why have I done it myself? I was faced with having to ship it out to a professional (since there are no mold making/casting services here in South Florida) and everyone I spoke to recommended that I cut it apart before mailing it. I didn’t want the original to be cut up at all in the first place… by anyone! If I had to do the hardest part (dismembering my own creation), I might as well just do all the rest of the molding too.
I was rehearsing with my coping saw, trying to determine where would be the most inconspicuous places on the Rex to make my cuts. A coping saw has a pretty small blade but I was still dreading the 1/8″ of detail I would loose with each cut to my dinosaur. That’s when I leaned about a jeweler’s saw; it’s blade is thin as thread. It make a razor blade seem thick. So after careful consideration, some practice cuts and more reconsideration… I did it. Now that I had finally finished the T-Rex and baked it, I cut it apart.
I cut off both the legs with the body resting on a clay support. Both feet had been screwed into the wood base; I thoughtlessly buried both screws in clay and baked it there. So once I cut both legs free from the body, I could spin them independently to unscrew them from the base.
In hindsight, I should have at least cut the body in half though. I thought it was great that the head, body, and tail could be molded all in one piece. The problem is that the mold is cumbersome and a bit tricky to rotocast by hand. The good news is that the casts are coming out good. The great news is that there’s a Rex on it’s way to Duboseart now for a paint job, right now! I’ve got some ideas for customizing one myself, and if you’d like to customize and/or paint one, contact me for more information.